Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Lab Recap

So I went to my doctors last week and he was pleased with my weight loss.  It had been two years since I had seen him and although I wasn't down a bunch of lbs from then, I had lost more and that was a good sign as I would normally be heavier each year at my appointments.  So GOOD! Yay... 

He sent me for my typical blood/urine lab work and my numbers came back within a few hours after I had my tests done and they were NOT good. 

My glucose was high, my cholesterol (LDL) was high. My HDL and Triglycerides were great.  Oddly, my white blood cells were finally in the normal range when previously, they have been high, like EVERY single time I get my blood tested. So good for my WBC. 

But my cholesterol... it's high because I eat a Keto diet which is primarily fat and very low in carbs. It makes sense.  I eat fat to fuel my body so it makes sense that more fat is travelling around my body than glucose. It also explains my high glucose count as it could mean that I'm glucose intolerant. I've spent days scanning docs and videos on the internet that help explain it. It does make sense. 

So now what? Well, oddly he hasn't called yet but the call could still come in and I know he's going to tell me to change something or want to put me on more meds. Nope, not going on anymore meds. I'm not doing it. 

I feel great, amazing... better than I have in years so I don't want to change the way I eat. Yes, I'd love to lose a few more lbs but there have been so many advantages for me to eating this way that I don't want to change it. I have more energy, I don't take naps during the day anymore, I love eating veggies and love the taste of them, my skin is so much improved and my gut health is great! 

He will want me to change my diet. I can make some adjustments here and I will try this for awhile. 

I have started drinking 1 chia seed water a day - 3 tsp chia seeds, water and lemon juice (let it sit for min 30 minutes before drinking). Tons of fiber for my body!! Plus it is reported to decrease cholesterol levels so let's go! 

I am also going to cut down on my cheeses a bit and limit my red meat to once a week or maybe even once every two weeks. I don't eat it much but I can cut down my cheese for sure. 

I am also going to stop having heavy whipping cream in my coffee in the morning. It was extra fat but I really don't need it.  Maybe these tweaks will also help the final few lbs that I want to lose. 

So that's my thoughts on this right now. I'm fully expecting him to call me at some point this week and I'm dreading it but I do have a bit of a plan, so hopefully he's willing to listen to me and work with me on this. 



My numbers:  measured in mmol/L - to convert X 38.67

Glucose 6.1 (normal 3.6-5.5) 
Cholesterol (total) 6.2 (normal 2.0 - 5.2) 
LDL 4.2 (1.5 - 3.4) 
HDL 1.6 (> 1.1)
non HDL 4.6 (< 4.3) 
Triglycerides .9 (< 2.3) 
 However - 
HDL / Total chol s/b > .24        62.4 / 239 = .26
Total chol - ldl - hdl sb < 17       239 - 162 - 62.4 = 14.6

My weight this morning was down 1.4 from last week 172.8 

No comments:

Post a Comment