Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Recovery

We survived Thanksgiving. 

Food was lovely. Was great to see family and we survived the MIL! 

I ignored the MIL for a good part of the evening. I was visiting with my sister anyways, whom I have not seen since my dad's funeral, so I had a good excuse.  At the end of the evening the MIL managed to wedge her way into our conversation. I had earlier informed my sister of the MIL's issues and our challenges with her. My sister is a counsellor and she has offered on many occasions to talk to the MIL but I know the MIL will just reject any possible counselling, even if it is from "family". 

Well, she butted in the conversation so she ended up getting a bit of counselling!  Not about the abuse that she is putting on her body but more about her loneliness and grief and the fact that she has NEVER mourned the passing of her husband some 11 years ago. She still blames him for dying. That's stage 2 of grief, isn't it? They chatted for a bit of time and I just sat and listened and heard the same responses of,  "I'm fine, All is good". She then abruptly got up and left. We haven't heard from her since. 

My BIL and his family (hubby's brother) has offered for the MIL to come up and live with them for a few months. Great, right? Well not really. The BIL lives about 800 KM away from us, on a ranch and is about a 25 minute drive from the nearest town.  And it snows there. A lot. Both he and his wife work during the day and the kids go to school so even though he does a few days working from home, there will be many long days for the MIL to just sit and stew. 

That's a long time for someone that is not in their comforts of home to be alone.  She will be unable to drink (that's a good thing) as she will have no way to go and buy it and they won't buy it for her. She will be cranky and mean from being all alone all day and not having her vices. 

My hubby talked to his brother and asked him to reconsider his offer. He said for the sake of his marriage and sanity, to either reduce the invited stay to a much shorter period (maybe 10 days) or do it during the holidays when they are all home. Still to be determined what will come of that. I will also mention that BIL's wife dislikes MIL more than I do. I ignore her but she actually argues with her. It's not a good idea. 

I'm just thankful, that we made it through Thanksgiving! 

Now gotta start thinking about Christmas. 

Oh, and I did succumb to 2 glasses of wine on Saturday at dinner but that was it. Nothing friday even when we went out for dinner with friends! My weight is up this week so really that's unfortunate. But I did have pie at dinner on saturday and sunday. 




2 comments:

  1. Glad you it though the get together. It is hard when family is difficult! Both my husband & I come from family that contains toxic folks. My weight is the same so although it wasn't a gain it shows me I have to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family can be very difficult when they are all together too. And it's super fun when my husband's ex's family ends up in the mix! I consider not ending up in prison on those days a victory.

    ReplyDelete