Thursday, November 15, 2018

Healthy competition

I have a friend. No, let me correct that. I have a life partner (not in that way though), my best friend in the world I have known since I was 6. We have been friends for what seems like forever and she is my go to. We have different personalities but we get along great. Our husbands are friends and our boys are best friends and currently live together in college. Funny enough, we also both struggle with our weight. We have yo-yo dieted throughout our lives together.

Typically she starts the diet, tells me about it and then I join in. We are competitive. Not in the sense of I lost more than you did, but it's a healthy competition that keeps us accountable. If she loses 2 I want to lose 2 etc. It's always worked for us, until it hasn't. And funny enough, we typically stop our diets at around the same time. Not sure if its because one stops and the other gets bored of not having the competition and accountability or what?

This time it was different. Is started this diet on my own and didn't tell anyone. It wasn't until about 2 months in that I told her. She wanted to start as well but had 2 large vacations on the horizon and didn't want to start something so close to her trip. So she picked October 1st as her start date. And she did....

Here is the pickle.. she's struggling a bit with this diet and I'm struggling a lot right now. I haven't changed my eating much, but as I have written the last few times, I'm letting snacks and badness creep back into my diet. And it's showing on the scale. I recognize that these are not cravings but rather eating out of convenience or out of boredom. I grab a pack of halloween candy cause it's there, not cause I want it. I add peanut butter to my cauliflower crackers cause it was left open on the counter, not cause I wanted it. An extra 50 calories here and extra 50 calories there, really add up.

So why? Why was I doing so well until she started? It's like we want to succeed or fail together. I need to get back at it. I need to forget about competitions and other such nonsense and get my shit together!!

I was up again last week... 175. Not happy about that. My period arrived however and now I seem to be back and holding steady at 173.5.

GAH!!! I don't want to have to start tracking again, but it might come to that.

Happy to say I'm keeping up with my zumba and it does help clear my mind and also get my heart pumping! Need to add a bit more to get this heart happy!


1 comment:

  1. It’s cray how our minds play games with us...for example your competition working...then not working! Focus on YOU!!! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete