Tuesday, June 8, 2021

The Stubborn Snacker

 Me? Yeah, I'm stubborn, but not even close to my husband's stubbornness! Drives me crazy sometimes! 

The one thing that he is being really stubborn on now is his health. He keeps promising me that he's going to go see the doctor for an annual (more like 5 years for him) and have a check up done. He doesn't want to go because our family doctor is going to tell him he's fat.  He doesn't want anyone to tell him he's fat, even though he is and even he complains about it. 

But I do truly worry about his health. He's always been a very very healthy guy all his life. No blood pressure issues, no diabetes, blood work always excellent. But up until the last 3-4 years, he's also always been at a fairly healthy weight. When I met him he was about 170 lbs, which in my mind was waaaay too skinny and after we had 2 kids and about 20 years of marriage and after I gained a bunch of weight he went up to about 220. Not huge, not totally unhealthy but just a bit fluffy... Dad bod. :)  He's also 6'3". 

I'd say in the last 4-5 years he's gained another 60-75 lbs. Hard to tell on him as he is a big guy and he can carry that weight just about anywhere, but he is carrying a lot of it in his mid section right now. Right where the doctor's tell you to be careful with. 

When I lost all my weight in 2018, I really thought he would join in with me but it seems to be worse now. 

Some of my habits have changed, including my need to go to bed early each night. I tend to go to bed between 8:30 and 9:30 each night. I like to do my skin care routine and settle with a book at night. I find it helps me sleep a bunch better. 

The issue is when I go to bed, he snacks. A Lot. 

I don't want to nag him to stop eating and to make better choices, but I do. I try not to, but now the boys are nagging him as well. It seems to have the reverse effect on him. When we nag, he tends to snack more when we are not around. 

Not sure what else I can do but just be there to "support" him. I eat a low carb diet which can have some higher fats in it. That is fine because I'm not eating carbs along with it. The problem is that he eats what I eat PLUS the carbs. So bad bad bad.  I do buy carbs as my boys eat them so they are in the house. 

I really don't want him to have to hit a rock bottom to wake up and so something about it, but I fear that is what is going to happen. 

 I hate wanting to help so bad, but he's not wanting my help. Pains me every single day. 

3 comments:

  1. My husband has been resistant to doing anything about his health too. He is also a big guy (6'6") and keeps saying he is not going to eat tofu and kale, ha ha. As if I ever expected that! His blood pressure was also very high when I found out mine was high. He pretended it didn't concern him, but he used my exercise bike yesterday and seems to be making some small changes. It's a start! I just keep telling him I want him to be healthy so he and I can spend a long time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in control of just about everything in my husbands life since we got married. I'm not controlling, but I pick our foods, where we vacation, how we decorate our house, how we renovated our house, where we go out for dinner etc. EVERYTHING! He's just that type of guy that goes with the flow. He's so easy going but this is the one thing that I cannot control and it's eating me. Good for your hubby making small changes. I know it has to be their own decision. He knows how much I take care of my health so I would have hoped it would have rubbed off on him, but almost seems like it's the reverse. I will continue to stand by, be supported and catch him if he ever falls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason is an eveninng snacker also. I would like him to eat healthy, but sadly enough it is nothing we can do for them. They have to reach that point on their own! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete