Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The small things...

I tend to worry so much about the silly number on the scale and I tend to shrug away the things that really matter in the journey.

I am a little over 9 months in and although I am not at the "number" that I want I do notice a bunch of things that are different than they were 9 + months ago.

1. Although I'm still on my BP meds, my BP is better than it has been in years. It's controlled and consistently at the lowest numbers that it's been since we discovered the high BP 4 years ago, although I believe it was much longer than that because I had high BP when I had my 2nd son 17 years ago!  So although it's a work in progress, its on the right path.  I may never get rid of my meds as both mom and dad both had high BP and although mom was pretty average in her weight and mobility, dad has been healthy for all his lift. He still to this day works out 3 days a week at the age of 85!  But his BP is high, just something he has to live with.

2. I move much more efficiently. I was never really one to be in pain with my knees or other appendages but I did tire quickly. Especially if I ran or if I went for a brisk walk. I could feel the extra 40 lbs dragging me down somewhat and I didn't like it.  I know if I had kept at the weight that I was that my knees would have started to hate me.

3. My wardrobe is sooooo much better. Well not really great as I still spend 85% of my time in workout wear but when I want to wear cute skinnier jeans, I wear them. And t-shirts don't constrict me around my spare tire when I sit. I was constantly adjusting my clothes or just wearing clothes that were too big so that I could hide myself. Not anymore. Although I still have "fluff" I am comfortable with that fluff.

4. I'm almost in a normal weight range. I'm honestly not even sure when that last happened. I was always on the larger side going through high school and when I got married. I have worn a size 14 from as long as I can remember.  I do remember being a size 8 at one point but I think that was in grade 8. I'm not a size 8 yet, but my weight is very close to being in normal range from BMI.. I think I'm about 4 lbs away.

5. I eat WAY more vegetables than I used to. Carbs and breads and cereals were my go tos. I never thought I ate that bad but it was so natural to grab the loaf of bread, grab two slices, slam on some peanut butter and call it a snack. We had fruit and veggies in the house at all time but I found that often on a sunday, I would be throwing them out. Was just more satisfying to eat the bread and crackers etc. Now my snack is cucumbers and dip or maybe a few slices of cheese. We eat a veggie at every dinner and often 2. Salad at lunch is normal now for me. And I feel so much better from it.

6. My skin is much happier. I've had skin issues for most of my life. Not bad enough to warrant a trip to dermatologist but what I believed were allergies that would spark up rashes and eczema flare ups. I had them mostly on my torso, on my scalp but also on the back of my legs. With the reduction of wheat and sugars in my diet I have had clear or almost clear skin. No more scratching for this girl.

7. I'm just happier.

So I have to remember it's not about the number. Sure that's a piece of it, but it's all the things listed above plus many more that have just become the norm for me now. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post!!!! It reminds us that the effects are not always tied to that stupid scale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.. it was a feel good post for me. I have been writing too much lately about "the number" and I need to take a deep look at what this really all means to me!

    ReplyDelete