Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's Anti Bullying Day



This day actually means a lot to me. Not because I was bullied as a child but because I was a bully. Not the type of bully that calls kids names and throws them in a heap of dog crap, but the type of bully that would whisper about a person behind their back, spread rumors and excludes.  Remember the movie Mean Girls? Well I wasn't really that mean, but I know I did some things that I did in elementary and high school that I would not do today if given the chance.

I have two boys. Both of my boys are popular, outgoing and seem to be well liked by their peers. One of the most important things to me when I had kids was that they be accepted by their peers, for the main reason that I didn't want anyone to treat my kids like I treated kids. 

I've always tried to encircle the boys around different types of people or at least give them the opportunities to meet kids that are challenged either mentally or physically and ensure that they treat these kids as they themselves would want to be treated. So far so good...

So today - wear your pink and encourage your kids to love one another. When my kids complain about others I tell them that they don't have to like everyone in the world, but they do need to respect everyone.

Love one another and wear PINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment